Saturday 6 October 2007

My work in Al Ain

Well, probably about time I (Ron) put pen to paper (finger to the keyboard) and said a little about the work I’m doing.

About 3 years ago, The Sheik of Abu Dhabi decided it would be a good idea to upgrade the education system in this state (Emirate). – I suspect other Emirates are doing similar things. In Abu Dhabi it’s called the Public-Private Partnership for Public School Management' . The idea is to enable local and regional private education providers to manage selected public schools in the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC) was established in 2005 to oversee the program. Here’s a bit from their website:

Shaikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Minister for Presidential Affairs and Adec Vice-President, said: "Our goal is to provide world-class public education. "The partnership is intended to increase the professional standard of national staff and ensure their professional development," Shaikh Mansour said, adding: "The partnership provides a measure of independence to each school administration, besides promising better quality of educational outcomes and ensuring better and more frequent participation of parents in the education process."

Participating schools and their students will enjoy better school facilities, efficient and less bureaucratic school administration systems, modern teaching and assessment methods, up-to-date curricula, more intensive use of information technology and applications and rich extra-curricular activities. Principals and teachers, including national staff, will get improved job incentives and professional development opportunities.

The company I work for is called School Improvement Partnership (S.I.P.), which is a subsidiary of GEMS (Global Education Management Systems). My school is the Sultan Bin Zayed school for Basic Education. It is a year 6-9 school. Age range 12 – 16. But there are a few older students as well. They failed at some stage and the system doesn’t allow you to progress to the next year unless you pass. It’s housed in a newly built school and so there’s a very pleasant environment to work in with spacious rooms, good Air Con (when it works and doesn’t leak), lots of classrooms, an auditorium etc. ADEC is in the process of upgrading all the ICT. Plan is for every classroom and staffroom to have a computer, projector and smart-board; 2 ICT labs, 10Mb internet line, and all fully networked.

I really like the team I’m working with. There’s my ESL expert Michael - from NZ via South Africa – my English expert Amir, from Iran via Oman – my maths expert Ismail from Somalia via England, my translator Mohamed from Sudan via US & India, and soon to arrive my science/ICT expert Fasil, from England -----------------------. These guys are just fabulous. They’re really cluey about their subject area and have great interpersonal skills. So we’ve already established excellent working relationships amongst the staff of the school. Our role is to upgrade the teaching and management in the school and to help them implement a new curriculum (in all subjects, but focussing on english, maths, science and ICT).

With the team working with the classroom teachers, my job is to manage them and then to work with the school administration (Principal, Vice Principal, ..) to improve school planning and budgeting processes, get some parent involvement, and generally support them in putting the systems and processes in place to ensure good management and smooth running.

The staff in the school have really welcomed us and are very positive about working with us. Most are not Emirati (apart from the boss, VP and about 6 others), but come from neighbouring states like Oman, Syria, Jordan & Egypt. Most don’t have an educational qualification, but they do have undergraduate degrees in their specialty subject. Up to now most have been working directly from a textbook provided by the Ministry of Education. Day 1 is page 1 and they work through to the last page! So our work is cut out for us all – but being willingly taken on by the staff. So much so that we’re already seeing good signs of progress.

I like the boss (Mohamed) and VP (Rashed). They are both very capable, have good ideas and are willing to listen to suggestions.

All in all, I recon I’ve pretty well won the lottery and am looking forward to the rest of my time here.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl and Ron- very interesting to read your blog- have you any advice for one who will be doing something similar- advising teachers in English? Much appreciated Az

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to advise - you will have to send us an address to send the advice to though! We have no contact details for you............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great! So you guys are REAL then!!!! Ok my email is az28@mail.com. I have acquired a position ( waiting for my contract) with Gems education as part of their SIP team- advising English in local schools of Al Ain. Im thrilled and although I know have a lot of work to do want to make a " headstart" on it now- any advice about what Id expect? Any resources for devising curriculums and things- I really appreciate any advice Look forward in hearing from you soon. Regards Az

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there guys- I emailed you with my address- did you get it? Anyway please get in touch when you can
    Regards
    Az

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Guys Im sorry to bother you but I havnt heard from you since my last email a few days ago- I supplied you with my email- Id really apprecaite hearing from you when you get the time. Many thanks Az

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry - haven't been on the blog for a few days and for some reason we were not notified of your subsequent comments (after the first one. Have sent email to az28@mail.com - hope you have received it.....? Or should it be gmail?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Given my background knowledge about the PPP project initiated by ADEC and carried out by some international private operators, I have found your account too beautiful to be true. There is a lot of unsaid regarding power conflict among all the involved parties, teachers` resistence to change, students` misbehaviour and you name it.
    Implementing school reform is not as easy as your blog suggests especially in Sultan Bin Zayed School.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never said school reform was easy. Simply that I am enjoying the challenge, that the teachers we work with are doing their best amidst all the circumstances they themselves face.

    It's easy to hide negative comments behind anonymity. Why not send me an email at cherylandron@yahoo.com and we can discuss freely. I would really like to hear your alternate views.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a bit too judgemental and prejudiced to describe my comment as being "negative". Anyway, I would rather deem it as a typing mistake from the part of a respected and top-ranked educator konwing that dwelling on such minor and unconscious slip of thoughts would lead nowhere but to a sterile and Byzantine debate. Actually, the rationale underpinning my contribtion is to give a real and objective account of what is happening and at the same time give your blog a dialectic dimension and enable readers get a view to the project from different perspectives. You must have your own reasons for asking me to email you but since I have nothing to hide, I rather prefer to have it published so that other readers can contribute with their inputs.
    I would appreciate it if you can shed light on the following points:
    1-Are the ideoalogical,
    philosiphical, moral and
    religious tenets of the
    project articulated and
    discussed among all the
    stakeholders?
    2-How can you promote
    critical thinking when
    reform leaders are given
    dogmatic instructions which
    cannot be discussed and
    which hinder the growth of the
    very essence of low-order
    thinking skills?
    3-How can whoever dare to
    speak about significant progress
    when poor teachers are torn
    between implementing the new
    teaching practices and calming
    down the umotivated disruptive
    students?

    4-It is an axiomatic truth that
    one of the key moral qualities of
    an educator is moral honesty and
    integrity, how can one claim to
    be ethical while they express
    cynical opinions about the
    reform process outside the
    workplace?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please see my most recent post for a response to this.

    ReplyDelete