Wednesday 18 November 2009

Nanjing Jazz - COOL ?

We had the Nanjing International Jazz and World Music festival last weekend so we went out and watched a few bands. Friday night was a freebie invitation to opening night – crowd of a thousand for a very eclectic jazz band (Torsten De Winkel the Canary All-Stars). Picture these: the 6’6” sax player - seemed like he’d be right at home in big boots clodding around the Welsh moors with a herd of sheep; a bass guitarist - looked more like an escapee soccer thug from Coventry prison; a percussionist - straight out of the annals of Clive’s India, a blind Spanish lead singer, and a 6’4” Dutch lead guitarist who’d have been more at home in a Hoffbrau Haus with a litre of beer in his hands. The drummer was the only normal (?) looking one there. But could they play!! Oh yes. AND sing.

Next day we had a lovely lunch at the Sofitel – full buffet with bottomless glass of wine listening to Tango Extreme playing music inspired by the Argentina of the 30’s and 50’s. And all for $50 a head. We sat and drank a bottle of wine each and ate for about 2 and a half hours on and off – V nice!

Weather wise - - -It is b***y freezing here – it snowed yesterday & last night - down to MINUS 10. WHAT am I doing here?? I seem to recall saying I’d go anywhere there WASN’T snow !! ??

We had to go out on the Saturday (between Jazz bands) and buy me some thermal underwear. Cheryl doesn’t need it YET because she doesn’t go out in it much unless absolutely necessary – and then it's in the middle of the day instead of at 6 in the morning like this dope!. So I had a choice of white which made me look like a stretch Mr Magoo, (or the Michelin man – take your pick) and camouflage which made me look like Rambo (well - - - you know what I mean)! Cheryl likes the Rambo look, though she says that the virginal white has its own attractions! So I left for work in the morning with the new thermals on under my shirt and trousers, a new wool jumper over that, then my suit coat and to top it all off my winter parka and my leather driving hat that is lined with quilting. And carrying an umbrella and wearing 2 pairs of socks! - - - And that was just to go out to the road and catch a cab! When I got home this afternoon I walked through the door with the chin chatters, & feeling like an Eskimo. But I was then met with some nice thick hot vegetable soup and a chili for dinner - - gotta love that woman.

Cheryl is still not working and even though she don’t really get bored (doesn’t know how!) she does get a bit lonely. She’s met up with a couple of nice people, has a coffee on a regular basis, but having seen them once in a week there is not much more to it really! Writing and painting are keeping her occupied, but it’s not the same as working. Even so, she is happy and settled and really getting to know her way around Nanjing far better than me – all I do is go to work and come home!. (Late addition - some part time work is coming her way – nice).


And now it's Wednesday, and although it's not snowing any more, it is still below zero. How long is summer away???


No comments:

Post a Comment